Are you wondering why it's important to reapply sunscreen every two hours?
Sunscreen is an essential part of any skincare routine, as it helps to protect the skin from the damaging effects of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. However, the active ingredients can break down or be washed off over time, reducing their effectiveness at protecting the skin. This is why it's so important to reapply sunscreen every two hours or immediately after swimming or sweating.
UV radiation from the sun is a known cause of skin cancer, and it can also cause premature aging of the skin. Sunblock helps to block UV radiation and protect the skin from these harmful effects, but its effectiveness can decrease over time. Reapplying sunscreen every two hours helps to ensure that the skin is consistently protected from the sun's UV rays, which can be especially important during periods of prolonged sun exposure, such as when you are at the beach or participating in outdoor activities.
It's also a good idea to choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen, which protects against both UVA and UVB rays, and to use an SPF (sun protection factor) of at least 30. These types offer the most complete protection against the sun's harmful rays. All of DRMTLGY sunscreens are broad spectrum and are over SPF 30.
In addition to reapplying every two hours, it's also important to use other sun protection measures, such as seeking shade, wearing protective clothing, and wearing sunglasses to protect the eyes.
Wearing SPF Daily
Here are a few tips to help you remember to reapply every two hours:
- Use a waterproof SPF: Waterproof sunscreens are less likely to wash off or rub off when you are swimming or sweating, making them a good choice for activities where you are likely to be in the water or sweating. DRMTLGY Day Dream SPF 40
- Keep a spare bottle handy: If you are out and about and don't have access to a shower or sink to wash your hands, it can be helpful to keep a spare bottle of sunscreen in your bag or car. This way, you can easily reapply sunscreen without having to worry about getting your hands dirty. DRMTLGY Broad Spectrum SPF 45
- Set an alarm on your phone: Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to reapply every two hours. This can be especially helpful if you are spending a lot of time outside and might otherwise forget to reapply.
- Choose a moisturizer with SPF: Just be sure to use a non-greasy formula to avoid causing the sunscreen to rub off or interfere with its effectiveness. DRMTLGY Universal Tinted Moisturizer SPF 46
- American Academy of Dermatology. (n.d.). Sunscreen and sun safety.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2019). Sunscreen use.